Monday, February 11, 2008

Problem: Thunderbird keeps asking for password when it is saved. FIXED!

I'm just putting this up so that other people searching for a solution might get some pointers or have their problems fixed :)

The problem --> Thunderbird keeps asking for password even though it is correct.

I fixed this problem by altering my prefs.js file. I think 'prefs.js' got corrupted somehow and I had to repair a few lines manually. Here it goes....

Here are instructions on how to locate the said file: http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile#locate.

I merely changed the entry named "real user name" (user_pref("mail.server.server2.realuserName", "[actual-login-name-goeshere]"). It had the value of [login-name]@host.com, so I changed it to just [login-name]. And TB stop nagging me about inputting the proper password even though I had the proper password entered.

So, now I can check my Gmail like normal again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had the same Problem, also for my googlemail account. In my opinion, even better is changing


user_pref("mail.server.server2.userName", "[NAME]");

correctly, and delete the line

user_pref("mail.server.server2.realuserName", "[NAME]");

The "real" option seems to overwrite the normal options, if you change some settings (servers,usernsmes...) for an existing account instead of creating a new one -- prefs.js seems to get bigger and bigger like this...and the old setting will still be in the file

Anonymous said...

Could you be a bit more detailed in your response please. Lots of folks including myself, could use this solution.

Anonymous said...

People should read this.